Pages

Friday, 19 April 2013

4 Dresses

Missy was invited to a friend's birthday party a couple of weeks back and instead of choosing a frou-frou number to wear she opted for a gorgeous pinafore dress made from pink 1970s vintage sheet fabric that my sister, knowing I have an obsession with groovy flower power prints, had bought for her last year.  

She got so many complements from the other mums at the party that I got to thinking that I might try my hand at making a similar dress from some of the vintage bed linens I've been collecting over the last year or so.
I'd never made a dress before so I used the original party dress as a template, taking note of how it was constructed, and set to work making a paper pattern.  The dress worked up really quickly on my trusty machine, I even managed to work out how to line the dress and added some vintage buttons to cover the press studs 
 and a pretty crocheted trim to the hem.
I was so pleased with the result that I made a second dress from a vintage sheet 
 A third from some 80s My Little Pony curtain fabric I got from a car boot sale last summer
 and a fourth from some retro paper dolly fabric I had that wasn't doing much
I think Missy now associates sheets with dresses as she saw me with a recent charity shop bed linen purchase and asked if I could make her another dress out of it, I'm sorry lady but you're going to have to get in the queue as I'd like to try and make myself something pretty this time round!

10 comments:

  1. Those are great. Not only have you got a outfit for a good price your Daughter will certainly not bump in to any one wearing the same.

    I used to make my Daughter dresses when she was younger but now at nearly 10 my dresses are just not cool enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, there's only a small window when kids are happy to wear something you've made, I plan to exploit it as much as I can and you're right about the cost saving!

      Delete
  2. Fab work!!! The dresses are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, my is there no end to your talents? Lucky LO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mary I wouldn't let you cast your professional eye over them too closely as they're certainly not up to your standards but I'm fair chuffed. x

      Delete
  4. They are lovely!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are absolutely adorable. You could sell those! Looking forward to seeing what you make yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you come to mention it Loo I've had a commission for one already! I have since got around to making myself something, will post about it soon! xxx

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...