Pages

Thursday, 20 December 2012

Wreaths, Not Just For Dead People

You know I love a wreath, they really shouldn't just be exclusively for dead people.  So what better kind of wreath for me than one made entirely out of dead people's stuff?!

The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed during my Junk Shop Jewels ramblings I've been collecting old wooden cotton spools, purchasing a few hither and thither and putting them aside for a rainy day, well that rainy day came this week and was practically a deluge when I hit the mother load of 18 spools for 10p each at the 'cheap as chips' charity shop (chips quite literally as it's situated next to a greasy spoon and everything you purchase has the faint whiff of l'eau de fry-up about it until its been aired for a couple of days)

I bought a heart shaped metal-framed wreath from good old Wilko's for £3 and used wire and pliers to attach the spools to the frame, et voila!

It now hangs above my little craft bureau and brightens my day.
One of the reels still had its original packaging on it with the price of 9D stamped on it.  Some of the names for the shades they came up with were rather exotic, this one for example
and my personal fave
Sadly this is a cautionary tale.  Whilst creating this "masterpiece" I managed to stab some of the wire into my finger tip (my sister did the same thing a few years back and damaged the tendon in her finger and I STILL didn't learn?!) so if you're creating something similar please wear gloves as it's like making a wreath out of barbed wire and razor blades.

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! Hope your finger is ok!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finger was a bit tender for a few days but tip top now thanks!

      Delete
  2. Eek your poor finger. The wreath is magnificent. I love it. I never see old cotton reels so am very envious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loo, it's been a work in progress for most of the year collecting a couple of reels as and when I saw them in the charity shops. x

      Delete
  3. What a great make, should be on the cover of a craft/sewing magazine. I am a little concerned about the green mayonnaise of yesteryear though...
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I saw it in Mollie Makes last year so it's technically already been in a mag but I'll take the compliment as they're few and far between these days! x

      Delete
  4. I agree that old cotton reels seem so difficult to come by, which makes your wreath seem so extravagant. The colours are lovely.
    The pain and potential gangrene will be worth it. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...