Pages

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Duvet Day

Well with it being mid summer and all what else would I find myself purchasing but a winter weight duvet for Missy.  She's had a 4 tog cot duvet on her junior bed for the last year now but has recently been waking in the night having pulled the covers off complaining that she's cold so I bought her a full size single duvet and new covers and she's now snug as the proverbial bug.

Being a thrifty sort I decided that I wasn't going to bin the cot duvet, it's the ideal size for throwing over ones legs on chilly autumn and winter mid summer evenings so I decided to put the vintage bed linen charm squares I bought from my friend Mary's fab Etsy collection to good use and here's the end result
It's a vast improvement on the last patchwork I attempted as most of the squares actually align!  It only took an afternoon to make as all the hard work (cutting) had been done for me (thanks Mary!) and both my children and my sewing machine behaved beautifully.

Linking up with #TaDahTuesday over at Faith, Hope And Charity Shopping

14 comments:

  1. An afternoon?? Are you kidding? Do you have some kind of freezing time device in your house? I have a patchwork I've been making a fraction of that size and it's taken my 20 years so far!!

    It's lush. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just kind of found myself laying the squares out on top of the duvet for sizing and an idea of pattern and then couldn't stop, I'm a bit of a slap dash stitcher so didn't really pin much of it together, it just sort of evolved on my machine.

      You'll get there with your double decade dalliance I'm sure. x

      Delete
  2. Hurrah - superb, well done, and yay for well behaved children. Glad that the squares fit together well, 'simple' things like that can be so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were perfect Mary and I actually found myself having fun despite the ironing!

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous! I really must stop insisting that I do everything (and hence nothing) by hand! And also buy some squares someone else has pre-cut. Life is too short and I want a lovely quilt too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get yourself over to Mary's Etsy shop, you won't regret it! x

      Delete
  4. Great afternoon's work. It's a really pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a fantastic result for an afternoon's work - it is really lovely Am working on a quilt for my son at the moment, and you've inspired me to get stuck back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you must crack on with it, I'm trying so hard to finish things I start, there's nothing more demeaning that abandoned projects.

      Delete
  6. just beautiful. i made my daughter one that is quite similar. you were very speedy. i agree with you on the cutting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh yes, the cutting fairies are a fabulous help, now if I can just get myself one of those ironing fairies...

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...