Pages

Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Trash To Treasure

I was setting off on my usual weekly Sainsbury's shopping trip when en route I spied this out on the pavement in the pouring rain for the bin men 


so I skidded to a halt and stuffed it into the boot of my car and high tailed it home.


More lovely Lloyd Loom, this time for free!


It was looking a tad worse for wear but I scrubbed it, gave it a lick of paint, well actually three scant licks of paint as I was being careful not to bung up the beautiful basket weave work with too much paint, redid the gilt spray effect by hand using acrylic gold paint and an artist's brush and replaced the entire seat cushion and upholstering it in some gorgeous satiny fabric I got for a steal in a sari fabric shop.


Here's the finished item
It's a tad more teal than in the photo and I think I've been sympathetic with my restoration but also added a touch of opulence.  I can't stop looking at it!


Linking up with #TaDahTuesday over at Faith, Hope And Charity Shopping

20 comments:

  1. Lush!!! you are soooo clever! ?Just gutted I didn't take that route to work !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your Mr are always finding great items for nowt! x

      Delete
  2. Wow, that chair must feel so lucky to have been picked up by you! Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks stunning. I just want to stroke that cushion - it looks so satiny and soft. Oh, sorry, dunno what came over me then.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I have the same feeling about the cushion, I won't let the kids sit on it.

      Delete
  4. What a transformation, it looks great! It has a new lease of life now :)
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed. Very nice. I once found a chair, very much like that, left outside a neighbor's house and we too nabbed it and took it home. Then we discovered it was actually a bloody commode and we had to take it back outside and down the road. We couldn't stop giggling. Mortifying. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, this one was a commode too, I spoke to the old lady that was getting rid to ask permission and she said she was chucking it as she wasn't allowed to use it as her carers wouldn't empty it as the pot didn't have a lid (apparently the pots are worth quite a bit but she'd turfed that already).

      Thankfully it didn't look like it had had much if any use so we just bashed the seat out and replaced it all, scrubbed it with bleach and repainted.

      I've literally turned a throne into a throne! x

      Delete
  6. What a great job. I wish I was resourceful like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but anyone can do it, have a go, if you've got it for nothing and it doesn't work out then ditch it, you've lost nothing and gained experience for the next time.

      Delete
  7. Fit for a Queen! Excellent sniper skills on obtaining and re-beautifying. Sorry I'm late commenting, bloody PTA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely and it's like a queen's throne. How lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh lucky you.
    It looks fab.
    There's a post over at mine attracting a funny comment or two...feels like I need one from you who always makes me laugh. No pressure!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fee, I've been over to yours, OMG, call the fashion police!!! xxx

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...