Pages

Monday, 5 March 2012

DOS Stitch

Having been lucky enough to WIN the inaugural PinAddicts Challenge last month over on the lovely Life, As I Know It, I've been procrastinating on Pinterest yet again!  I was looking for something to cross stitch as I've not done any before and came across an interesting design that I knew would appeal to Mr Right's inner computer geek so I drew out the pattern on some graph paper, purchased some black 14 count aida and green embroidery thread and set to work


It's an old skool computer program that (with a binary boarder) should display 'home sweet home sweet home sweet home sweet home..' ad infinitum and reminds me of my pre-teen years when we had a Commadore 64 and loads of 'program your own computer game' books where you physically had to type in the code in order to play the game (or not in most cases as I invariably made hundreds of typos which meant the game wouldn't work and it would be back to the old cassette deck 'download' with its annoying accompaniment of squealing and tweeting sounds for hours on end)


Now I know that strictly speaking as a computer program this wouldn't actually run but if I'd added the 'print' command it would have been twice as wide, so I'm hoping you'll cut me a little artistic licence slack after all it probably took as long to actually sew this thing as it used to take me to type in the code for those games I never got to play!


Linking up with the Pinaddicts Challenge, this month it's hosted by Melksham Mum or you can follow tweets using the #pinaddicts hash tag
LifeAsIKnowIt

18 comments:

  1. Fab cross stitch, it reminded me of my spectrum 16K and playing pac man (now I am showing my middle age!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the good old days. Gotta love a bit of pac man and if I remember it too then that makes me middle aged and I'm not, ergo you're not either, so there! :)

      Delete
  2. Love it! Really cool picture. Great idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cross stitch. I had a Spectrum zx when I was younger and boy did it take ages to do anything on that. Makes me appreciate my laptop today.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids these days don't know the half of it, floppy discs, tapes and the endless waiting, waiting, waiting and MANY failures. x

      Delete
  4. That's great! The whole computer thing goes right over my head as my childhood seemed to pass by modern technology (we didn't have a tv until I was 16!!) I blame my parents for my lack of techie knowledge now!
    I hope Mr Right likes it
    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, no TV until you were 16?! How are you able to function as an adult now?

      Mr Right loves it, as do I. Thanks for hosting the Pinaddicts Challenge this month, I love it. Any excuse to prick around on Pinterest and make stuff. x

      Delete
  5. Very impressive! Do you think you'll do more cross stitch now? It's easy to get hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I recently did an initial for a greetings card but it was real faff so won't be doing that again, although I do have a hankering after a cross-stitch of my family members but I need to have a play with designs!

      Delete
  6. Love it, I remember spending hours typing code in and inevitably making a mistake which meant that it didn't work! Well done for your first cross stitch, and coming up with your own pattern to start with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, wasn't it a nightmare?! My folks must have loved it as it kept me quiet for hours at a time!

      Delete
  7. Wow, for a first cross stitch you have some serious skills!
    I really love quirky cross stitch, have a few around my house that make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mad cross-stitch skillz, yay! I love the current trend for edgy cross-stitch, might have to stitch up something really filthy!

      Delete
  8. Very cool. We never had a computer at that time but I remember a friend's where we'd wait a week or so to load up Frogger. Enjoy telling Boy1 about this when he's complaining about a 5 second wait on his DSi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - bet Boy1 loves hearing tales of the olden days when the world was in black and white! x

      Delete
  9. Feisty Tapas has started a new linky called needlework days - details here http://www.feistytapas.com/2012/03/needlework-days.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up MBM, gotta love a linky! x

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...