Pages

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Cakey, Cakey! - Buster's 10th Birthday Cake


Last week I celebrated a decade of being a mum, that's right Buster turned ten.  I really don't know where the years have gone but I do know that I have made a LOT of cakes in that time and as a consequence my abilities in the cake decorating department have definitely improved.


Buster's first birthday cake was a rather boring affair a Victoria sponge covered in white icing with 'Happy 1st Birthday' in multi-coloured letters cut out of icing on the top and a purple ribbon round the outside (I don't have a photo because this was in the days before digital photography and I'm far too lazy to scan it in).  


With 8 more cakes made in the mean time to hone my craft we find ourselves here...


Free Cake, Free Cake!
 It's a Regular Show cake.  Go here if you have no idea what the Regular Show is (you're missing a treat!)


This cake is a lot smaller than most of Buster's previous ones but it doesn't make it any less special, in fact it might even be a bit more special.  Hiding under the unassuming white icing lies this...
It's called Rainbow cake and is a joy to behold (and eat of course)
Regulars on Pinterest will have seen it all before but I know that some of you will be wondering how the hecky-peck it's made.  Well, you make a regular sponge mix and divide it equally between 7 bowls and add food colouring to each individual bowl depending on what colour layers you require, in this case I made red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pink.
Then you bake each layer individually and allow them to cool.  When they've cooled you layer them up with some buttercream icing in between each sponge and you're ready to decorate as normal.  It's a bit messy with all the separate bowls and time consuming if you don't have 7 sponge tins but I think you'll agree that the overall effect is worth it.


Happy 10th Birthday Buster! x

8 comments:

  1. that cake is INCREDIBLE, i dont know if i have the patience for 7 seperate cake mixtures but i certainly would like a stab at it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must have a go, it's a little bit faffy but so worth it!

      Delete
  2. This looks fab - and is definitely on my list of future cakey-makes. Yours is loads more appetising looking than some of versions I've seen on Pinterest. (and your rainbow is accurate!). Love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jellybean, some of the attempts on Pinterest do leave a lot to be desired don't they?! Thanks also for the accuracy love :)

      Delete
  3. That cake is amazing! We love the regular show here too, but my youngest is a huge Adventure Time fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      It was a toss up between a Regular Show cake and an Adventure Time cake, perhaps Adventure Time next year?

      Delete
  4. Haha, I had to read out loud 'roygbiv' to check if it's accurate. That'd surely be a big hit with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I was doing the same the whole way through making it! :D

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...