Pages

Friday, 13 January 2012

Cupcapers - Button Cupcakes

I love buttons as you can see here and here, oh and do you recall these little gems from my gingerbread period over Christmas?
Well I've been wasting more time on Pinterest searching for more rolling pinspiration when I came across the idea for button decorated cupcakes, there were a multitude of types to go for but I opted for making loads of buttons in various sizes, styles and colours from ready-to-roll icing and pressing them into some buttercream icing atop a simple cupcake.


The buttons are a great way of using up all those little oddments of icing I seem to have hanging about after making celebration cakes for family and friends, it's also a good idea, if you have some spare time to make loads of them and stick them in an airtight jar ready for brightening up dull cupcakes at a moment's notice.


They're made by rolling out the icing and using round cutters in various sizes to cut out the circle shapes, I then used a smaller round cutter to add detail to some of the buttons and gave them all either two or four button holes using the flat end of a bamboo skewer.
I made some vanilla cupcakes, not my greatest as I was supervising Missy making her first batch of cupcakes at the time but buttercream hides a multitude of sins so I piped some on and jammed buttons in various sizes and colours into it, the largest buttons at the back and the smaller ones in front and here they are
Ironically these button cupcakes will probably make my buttons a little trickier to fasten...
...butt who cares!
Linking up with the Pinaddicts Challenge
LifeAsIKnowIt

25 comments:

  1. So cute - I have a friend who would LOVE those. Or they'd be great for craft group cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very yummy indeed. Great idea. The cupcakes look gorgeous!

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing.
    I need to wean off pinterst - it's become a (/nother) major addiction
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!

    Fee you are feeding my crochet addiction!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea to use up the left over icing. The cupcakes look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fab idea! I have seen button biscuits but these make a great cupcake decoration x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buttons AND cupcakes!! two of my favourite things!! They look gorgeous. I need to go and eat cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nom Nom Nom, they look absolutely stunning!!!! Thanks so much for entering xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look amazing - what a fab way to use icing and gingerbread mix!! Deelish! x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, are there any left? They look good enough to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are as cute as a button! bet they taste good tooo :) Smith x

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so cute, I love them! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are just so cool! Blimey you are clever! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are fab! Will certainly be giving these a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for the comments people, you're too kind! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big Congratulations Christy! Well Done for winning the first ever Pinaddicts Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done for winning the Pinterest Challenge! Your idea was great and you definetely deserved it!! Are you planning on taking part in March??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I'm thrilled and will be taking part next month for sure, I'm a Pinterest making addict. x

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...