Pages

Thursday, 13 October 2011

Mirror, Mirror...

I was at Mrs B's house over the summer and I spotted that in one of her back garden boarders she had positioned a rectangular stone monolith and I thought it would be nice to have something architectural dans le jardin to complement the plants, that evening I remembered I had a couple of old mirrors in the loft and some glass etching cream I was itching to try so I hatched a plan
I covered the mirrors in clear sticky-backed plastic (Blue Peter eat your heart out!) and printed off a suitably horticultural phrase, spaced the words onto the mirror and used spray mount to stick them down whilst I used a craft knife to cut out the letters
I then painted on the glass etch cream and waited the allotted time
Washed it off and here's the result
I placed it in my butler sink herb garden, although ironically I now see there is a weed next to the Rosemary!!!!
I had a bash at a second mirror by using some wallpaper with a floral theme I liked as a template
But I didn't heed the warning on the glass etch that it's not really suitable for large expanses of glass and unfortunately it didn't come out as well as I had hoped so I stuck it behind some foliage and will just have to keep my fingers crossed that nobody notices!
I quite enjoyed using the glass etch and will certainly use it again, although this time I shall wear thicker disposable gloves as I managed to melt most of my fingernails whilst making these mirrors!


As ever, linking up with Handmade Thursday over on White Lily Green



Inspire Me Beautiful

9 comments:

  1. ohhh lovely. You clever person. Would love to have a go at this. Adds to list of things to do ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second one looks fine - it's the distressed look which is perfect in a garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea..so clever, I would not think to do that, but I really want a go now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very crafty. I've never heard of glass etch but my mind is running away with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! They look fabulous!!! I've never heard of Glass Etch either.... oooh I must hit Google!

    Thanks for linking up lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the caption on the weeds mirror :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there! Just popping on to say hi, I'm your partner for the FHC Shop Christmas Swap thing - I can see I'm going to enjoy reading over your blog :) Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reflecting on my mirrors all, the glass etch is called Armour Etch and I got it online.

    Hey Lucy, I'm a bit behind with my blogging this week and very much look forward to having a meander through your thoughts when I get a moment to myself. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mirrors look the fairest. What a great idea, and how nicely they enhance your garden.

    Blessings,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...