Pages

Thursday, 26 May 2011

Cakey, Cakey! - Hummingbird Bakery Lemon Bars

I'd purchased some lemons a while back and managed to make the Lemon Meringue Cupcakes and some steamed salmon using them but there were still two knocking about in the fridge getting a little squishy so I simply had to do something with them as I really hate wasting food.  


It was then that I remembered that on a number of occasions I had flicked through the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and had wanted to make the Lemon Bars but always seemed to be without the required lemons to do so, so it was on.


The bars consist of a pastry base with a lemon curd-esque topping, rather like a lemon tart in bar form.  I make an Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy Tart using a pre-bought (I know how slummy) sweet pastry case and fill it with a egg/lemon/cream/sugar mix and bake for 20 mins, serve cold with a blob of whipped cream.


The recipe for the Lemon Bars called for a large tray (23cm x 33cm x 5cm) and in retrospect I would have gone for a slightly smaller one as the mixture seemed to spread a little too thinly for my liking but all in all they are super yummy, here they are



3 comments:

  1. I must get that book, your makes always sound delicious. And I always have aged lemons in the back of my fridge. In fact there are two about a month old in there now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have lemons in my fridge too!!! Also coveting that book....those bars look right up Cleggys lemon lover street!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lemon love, lots of peeps want a Hummingbird book whenever I post about it, I should be on commission. Perhaps a blog anniversary giveaway of a copy might be in order???

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...