Pages

Monday, 25 April 2011

This Week's Junk Shop Jewels

Second week of the Easter hols and my finds seem to have been all about the children.


Whilst caravaning in Norfolk with my parents last week Buster, who has been harbouring a desire to become a pirate for some years, spotted this in the window of a Sue Ryder shop (this charity shopping lark is obviously rubbing off on him), so Nanny went in and purchased it for him for £4.50  
Those of you who are regular readers of my blog will know that he has been on the look-out for a ship in a bottle for a while now and now that he finally has one, guess what, he found two more in one shop   
It seems that ships in bottles are like buses, you wait for ages for one, then three come along at the same time.  He decided that he liked the larger of the two best and made a purchase for £4. 
The woman behind the counter asked him if he was a collector and he said that he was, I think he was a little bit chuffed that he could now call himself a collector, although I hope he doesn't turn out like that child antiques expert from the 80s!
Buster has not been the only one on the look-out for ships in bottles, the kindly Mr B (who volunteers in the local hospice shop, god love him) tweeted me to inform me that they had had a ship in a bottle in, it turned out to be the one on the right in picture of the two together, but I just wanted to give a little shout out to him to say thanks for thinking of us!


Missy wasn't left out this week.  I've been on the hunt for a little muffin tray for her play kitchen and thought I was going to have to part with one of my metal mini muffin trays until I found this little blue plastic one for £1 and it's the perfect size for her little wooden cupcakes too
All the time spent on searching out items for the kids has meant that I only managed one purchase for myself, which is fine as I'm saving my pennies for a vintage sale with Mrs D next weekend.  I bought this old butter knife for 25p.
This post links up with Magpie Monday over at Me And My Shadow, hop on over and take a look at the other Easter bunnies and their bargains


Me and My Shadow

15 comments:

  1. Aw, another collector in the family, that's so sweet. He made an excellent choice. Those butter knives are brilliant, I have a set and use them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny to find those ships' in bottles - I can't say I've ever come across any in charity shops. Great pirating material.

    I adore your daughter's little cupcakes - that tray was made for her!

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha speaking of threes......well just see what we have on my blog - you may be onto something. I rather like ships in bottles too - but has he made one himself? I think that should be the next step.....

    and cooking? that seems to be a magpie theme this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent buys - I remember when my parents bought a ship in a bottle in the 1980's they spent ages choosing one! Saw it as a real investment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen ships in bottles anywhere. Living in Devon you would think they would be all over the place.
    I really admire the work that goes into them.
    Love the knife, I have several, love old cutlery. Would really love to find some really lovely silver pieces : ) Here's hoping xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My MIL has a set of those knives that I covet! looking forward to vintage rummaging with you next week too! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we have the matching bread knife to that butter knife - they last forever!
    I have to admit to being slightly in love with the wooden cupcakes. I would gladly exchange one of my baking trays for a few of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't that kid from the eighties actually have a sex change op and is now living as a woman? Or was that a bad dream I had after eating cheese late at night x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow what great finds and how typical to find 3 like that after waiting so long.

    I love the little cup cake tray too.

    I have a butter knife just like that one, I'd love some more, I am also on the lookout for some cake forks. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even more great finds, I bet Buster has them displayed somewhere very important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the butter knife. My grandparents had a set of cutlery with those handles and I would love to find a set myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a thing about ships in bottles but don't have one as always seems too self-indulgent to buy one
    So I am envious and may give in to temptation next time.
    Sweet muffin tray too.
    Can never have enough butter knives.
    My finds are over at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Buster has the ships pride of place on his top shelf and Missy has been carrying her cupcakes around in the new tray whilst wearing her mini oven mitt, super cute

    ...and yes that antiques boy did have a sex change

    ReplyDelete
  14. really love this post. hope to have some bottle ships like yours.

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...