Pages

Thursday, 3 February 2011

Who Ate All The Pumpkin Pie?

I had a sweet pastry case to use and decided that today was gonna be the day that I utilised Mr Right's thoughtful Christmas gift to me, a tin of pureed pumpkin.  I'm sure you're thinking it's a bit of an odd gift but Mr Right knew that I've been wanting to make pumpkin pie for a while but I didn't know where to get pureed pumpkin in the UK, so he tracked some down and I happily unwrapped a couple of tins on Christmas morning.
I used the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook recipe, which was really simple (basically shove all the ingredients in a bowl and mix), although true to form, it being an American recipe book, it made way too much for my tiny British pastry case.


I stuck it in the oven and waited the allotted 40 minutes, the cinnamon, ginger and cloves aroma was amazing and the result was an autumnal burnt amber colour pie that sliced beautifully.  I served a wedge as recommended in the book with some whipped cream and sprinkled on my home made cinnamon sugar
Although the smell was wonderful I didn't have high expectations for the taste as I couldn't get my head around pumpkin being a major component in a sweet pie, but curiosity got the better of me and thankfully my misgivings were unfounded; as you can see!
I've just enjoyed slice number two, my silhouette will be pumpkin-shaped if I carry on down this road!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try this too - must ahve a look on the internet for these pumpkin cans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Amazon sell them. You simply must try it, it's super yummy. I want a third slice but I have a feeling that three would send me over the edge...the edge of the toilet with someone holding my hair back. :D

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...