Pages

Monday, 13 December 2010

The Pies Have It

I love a pie, any pie (except a pork pie, they're just wrong).  Pies are one wonderful evolutionary step on from a casserole plus they have the all important pastry factor.  I love making pies.  Today I made a chicken and mushroom beauty.  I used Sunday's left over roast chicken, diced it up and slung it into a pan with some onions and mushrooms, added some salt and pepper and my special ingredient...a can of Heinz Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Soup.


I love the artistry of pie making.  Rolling out the pasty and using my knuckle to get it right into the corners of the pie tin without tearing it, slopping in the filling and the attempt to replicate my childhood memories of my mother trimming off the excess pastry with a knife.  Then re-rolling the left-over pastry to form the lid.  The crimping of the edge with a fork, the egg-wash and Buster's favourite part, using the remaining pastry for the decoration.  He loves to have a pie with his initials or star shapes or, like tonight's pie, chickens and mushrooms on the top.


There are so many pies that I love Chicken & Vegetable, Chicken & Mushroom, Beef & Onion, Steak & Ale...the list is endless and the great thing about a pie for dinner is the opportunity to have a pie for pudding too!


Sweet pies are pudding heaven, Apple Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie, Key Lime Pie, Mince Pies, Mississippi Mud Pie, Cherry Pie...


I have lots of asPIErations, these are pies that I have heard about but have yet to try.  Three that spring to mind are classic American diner pies, Banana Cream Pie, Pumpkin Pie and Blueberry Pie.  Thankfully there are recipes for these in 'Old Faithful' (The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook) and as I seem to be baking my way through that book it's only a matter of time before I get to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...