Pages

Friday, 3 December 2010

I Sew Needle Be Hooked On Crochet Darn It!

Two years ago I tried knitting again (I say again because I have a terrible memory and have to be retaught things like knitting over and over for them to stick - thank god for YouTube!).  Buster requested a scarf so I decided to knit one.  It was just a plain knit stitch scarf in an oatmeal coloured wool with some tassels on each end, it was very 'home knit' but he seemed happy enough with the end result, I even made a mini matching one for his teddy.


Then Mr Right decided he wanted one too, so I thought I would try and add in a purl stitch to create a basket-style effect.  I chose, what is lovingly referred to in our house, a bell-end purple wool and clicked away with my Cath Kidston needle set (an ambitious Christmas request that year!).  It took me about 6 months on and off and two balls of wool but I eventually got it finished and Mr Right claims it's his favourite scarf (well he has to really!).


The thing that these scarves have in common, apart from being made with love, is that I didn't follow a pattern (as is evident when you see them!).  Knitting patterns baffle me.  I'm quite a logical thinking person but give me a knitting pattern, needles and a ball of wool and I wouldn't have a Scooby what to do, which is a real shame as I'd love to knit loads of wooly wonders.  I think it's just one of those crafts I won't ever get my head round.


I have toyed with the idea of crochet for a while now too, I even have a hook and everything, but every time I look into it my head starts spinning.  I can just about cope with a slipknot to start off and then I'm confused.


I think my needlework abilities are firmly in the hand stab-stitch realm.  I have a phobia of sewing machines too.  I have a wonderful machine that I inherited from my Oma but sewing machines and me just don't gel.  I always end up with a mass of threads that look like Amy Winehouse's pubes puckering up my material.  Threading, tensions and bobbins are my problem areas, i.e. everything.


I was watching Kirstie's Homemade Home this week and would really like to have a bash at the machine embroidery she tried but I don't want that to end up another needlecraft to add to my list of darning disasters.


I think I'll have another go at hand embroidery, my first attempt this week was fun, the end-result didn't look as amateurish as I had feared and it was well within my needlework comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...