Pages

Thursday, 4 November 2010

Larder Ardour - Pickled Red Cabbage

Yesterday I was blogging about Dutch foods and mentioned one of my favourite accompaniments to meatballs - red cabbage.  It's quite a labour intensive job shredding all the cabbage and peeling the apples blah, blah, blah so I usually do a huge batch and freeze it into portions.  


Recently my mum let me into her little secret, she has been making a cheat's version for a while now and, although it's not a patch on the real thing, it's ideal if you fancy it on the hop, not only with the traditional meatballs but it also goes really well with sausage casserole, which is what I'm having tonight and hence why I'm posting about it.


The cheat's version involves a jar of red cabbage, this sounds simple enough but I have tried several generic pickled red cabbages and the best is one made by a company called Gunderlsheim that I can only find in Waitrose and as I don't have one in my home town I have to stock up when I can.  
Good old Gunderlsheim, the king of pickled red cabbage
The reason the Gunderlsheim one is so good is that it is finely shredded, rather like Sauerkraut, which incidentally they also manufacture.  Anyway, I digress, the cheat's recipe calls for a jar of this ruby ribboned gorgeousness, drained, briefly rinsed and combined with a jar of Bramley apple sauce in a saucepan.  Heat and stir adding a small amount of vinegar, sugar, nutmeg and salt and pepper and Bob's your uncle (or Bob is je oom!).



No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...