Pages

Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Cakey, Cakey! - Hummingbird Bakery Brooklyn Blackout Cake

Today was one of those 'I simply must have chocolate' days, Buster was off school with a head cold and Missy was gradually looking more and more like Slimer as the day progressed
Anyway, we were out of cake and I have fancied making the Hummingbird Bakery Brooklyn Blackout Cake for some time now.  For those not in the know it's a triple layer chocolate sponge with a glossy chocolate custard cementing the layers together, with another slathering of chocolate custard over the entire cake and, just for good measure, a pebble-dashing of chocolate cake crumbs to form an outer crust, here's my attempt, not bad even if I do say so myself.  I can't wait to try it tomorrow but,knowing my luck, I'll probably come down with the kids' lurgy during the night and won't be able to taste it!
UPDATE:  Thankfully I didn't get struck down with kiddie germs and was able to taste this cake with a nice cuppa for elevensies (well technically 10:45sies as today is Remembrance Day and Buster and I were observing our 2 minutes silence at 11am).  It was sublime, just enough chocolate to get me through my morning shift as nurse maid, certainly up there as a fave.
WARNING: A 16th of this cake is not enough, an 8th, however, is too much, bleugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...