Pages

Thursday, 28 October 2010

Izzy Whizzy, Let's Get Busy!

The Right's attended Miss C's christening last Sunday afternoon and the 'afterparty' entertainment took me right back to my youth, they had an old skool magician doing all the old skool tricks.  He had both the kids and, more surprisingly, the adults under his spell.


Buster was chosen to help with some of the tricks and absolutely loved being a magicians assistant for an afternoon.


Buster does his very best Debbie McGee
Buster was totally inspired and urged me to levitate into the loft and make his magic kit reappear, which I have dutifully done.  He has been inventing his own tricks and practising the ones from the Marvin's Magic Set all week and I have been his experimental audience (which involves me having to look away and feign surprise in equal measures - no mean feat believe me!).






Whatever happened to the magicians of my childhood, Paul Daniels, I know, was recently (and unjustly in my opinion) voted out of Strictly Come Dancing (Anne Widdecombe is the John Seargent of this series and makes a mockery of the whole competition, although I do love Anton Du Beke - I'm going off on a tangent aren't I - perhaps I need to blog about Strictly?!) 
You'll like this, not a lot!




and the Great Suprendo divorced Victoria Wood and 'Piff, Paff, Poofed' off, never to be heard of again.


Piff, Paff, Poof - Swedish for Snap, Crackle, Pop!




I once attended a charity gala at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington where close-up magician Fay Presto was doing tricks at all the tables for donations, it was amazing.  
Fay Presto, was her greatest trick changing herself from a man into a woman?




I know that the Paul Daniels Magic Show can't draw in the ratings that the X-Factors of today do but I miss those days, I'm not even placated by their replacements, the Derren Browns and David Blaines all seem a bit sinister and extreme by comparison but I suppose it's evolve and shock or die a ratings death.  I suppose I just long for simpler times, where kids were wowed by rabbits being pulled out of hats and I realised at the christening that those days are, thankfully, not entirely lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...